Saturday, January 28, 2012

Childhood memories

Well .. here I am .. back to blogging. Hopefully its a beginning to many more to come. You know how difficult it is to restart, so I decided to do some cheating. This post is actually a comment to one of the earlier posts of paccashana. Coming back to the topic of this post, the six childhood experiences that come to my mind ....


1. We had a "chakki" in one of the shops in our building. I along with my friends used to do lot of masti with the "chakki-wala". I used to love the smell of "atta" and used to venture into the "chakki" and play with the "atta" when the "chakki-wala" was busy. As soon as he sees me, he used to chase me out and i would run at a top speed. He had a small kid and i used to bully him a lot.

2. One game which i really used to like is hide-and-seek. The building used to have low boundaries and we used to run from one building to another. Sometimes the "gurkha" of those buildings used to chase us. I used to sometimes fall and hurt myself while running and get caught at times. We used to play all kind of rustic games - lagori, dabba express, viti-danda, marbles (my dad used to hate it) and some others (i can't recollect the names now)

3. I think this is something i will never forget .. my dad used to teach me cycling. i had one particular session, which turned really bad. i had a bad fall, with the entire skin over my knees peeling off. it was bleeding profusely and i got the scare of my life and i told daddy that i will never touch a cycle again. God knows how he convinced me later on and i eventually learnt cycling.

4. I still remember the winter mornings on Sundays which used to be really lazy and used to curl up to dad under the blanket and the warm and cozy feeling that i used to get is still fresh in my mind.

5. There used to be a vada-pav stall outside our school. I used to love its aroma and used to save some money to grab a bite every few days. On other days, i used to roam around the place, after school, to be able to sniff the smell.

6. I still miss the experience of playing cricket on the streets, hitting those huge sixes, cheating, fighting and breaking window-panes. Once a window-pane is broken the street used to wear a deserted look and then everyone used to slowly come out and play again ... haha ... it was so damn crazy.

4 comments:

Diary of a Singaorean Cabby said...

I like your style of writing, short, simple and sweet. Good read. Keep going!

Regards
James Lim

Suren said...

Thnx James for the much needed encouragement.

Sen said...

@ Sush... Welcome back :), atleast batana toh chahiyena ke you are back... today I decided to give you a bit of a nudge by dropping a comment at your blog and lo and behold there is a new post!!!

Nice writeup...

The games that I remember are Saakli, Kitty Kitty, Chor Police, Four Squares, Lock and Key...hehehe

Cycling to me means, scraped ankles as for some reason my ankles would rub against the chain...

Winter mornings during school time used to be fun...we needed to leave really early for school and and that early in the morning on really cold days when you exhaled you would feel like smoke was coming out of your mouth... we would pretend that we were smoking :-p

I still remember the taste of the samosa pav sold in my school... I honestly would pay big money to anyone who would buy me one of those samosa pavs :)

I could go on for ever :))

Suren said...

hey ... thanks for sharing ur moments ... can relate to it.
hope i continue to write this year